For many, London Bridge is just a bridge. But for others, it’s a place of intrigue and mystery. London Bridge has long been one of the most iconic bridges in the world. The first bridge on the site was built by the Roman Empire in 50 AD, and there have been nine subsequent bridges on the site.
Here are ten interesting facts about London Bridge that you may not have known.
1) The first London Bridge was built by the Roman Empire in 50 AD out of wood.
2) The stone London Bridge that is standing today was completed in 1831.
3) It was originally bought by an American businessman, Robert McCulloch, in 1968 for $2.5 million.
4) The Bridge Experience is a tourist attraction in this city where visitors can walk over the flyover and learn about its history.
5) The opening scene of the movie The Towering Inferno was filmed on the Bridge.
6) In order to fund the construction of the flyover, a tax called “The Poundage” was introduced that taxed all goods brought into London.
7) The song “London Bridge is Falling Down” is based on a nursery rhyme that originated in the 12th century.
8) The first panic in this city caused by fire began on London Bridge in 1666.
9) The two lions that are standing at each end of the Bridge were cast from cannons that were captured from the Spanish Armada.
10) The traffic on it was originally allowed to proceed in both directions, but this caused too many accidents so it was changed to allow traffic to go only one way.
Why is London bridge has so much significance:
The question always arises, why is London bridge so significant? The answer to this question really depends on what one’s perspective is. For some, it may be because of its historical significance. Others might find its iconic architecture or the fact that it has been featured in many movies and television shows to be compelling reasons. All things considered, it just seems to hold a special place in the hearts of many people. So if you’re ever in the city and have a chance to visit, be sure to take a walk in it! You won’t regret it.
This article provided a detailed history of London Bridge, including 10 interesting facts that you may not have known. If you enjoyed this article, be sure to Like and comment on it.
- Earn from Facebook videos in Pakistan
- The Top 10 Skin Care Tips For Women Over 30
- Amazon drone deliveries program finding ways to work-out
- How To Speed Up Your Website: The Ultimate Guide
- I wanted to be an entrepreneur without having money and a good Idea